It’s Holy Week and by tradition, Filipinos will troop to religious sites during the week.
In Cagayan de Oro and Misamis Oriental, there are several sites which have become crowd drawers in terms of number of pilgrims, devotees and visitors as a whole. See them below.
- Malasag (Cugman, Cagayan de Oro)– a government reforestation project where Stations of the Cross are established along the ascending access road. In the photo below, Malasag is seen in the background.
- Divine Mercy Shrine (Ulaliman, El Salvador City)– a 9-hectare religious complex with a 50-foot statue (show below) of Jesus as the focal point.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine (Igbalalay Hills, Tablon, Cagayan de Oro)– located a few kilometers inland, the shrine is nestled beside a river. It has attracted many devotees in the last few years due to its adventurous route, with mixed land and nine (9) river crossings.
- Carmelite Monastery Complex (Seminary Hill, Camaman-an, Cagayan de Oro)– for several years, the Carmelite Monastery has long been a religious facility conducive for meditation, prayer and soul searching. Stations of the Cross are also established along its ascending access road.
- Sipaca Point (Talisayan, Misamis Oriental)– Although less popular, local devotees have been trekking to the highest point of the islet for over 10 years during Holy Week. A view from the top also gives an excellent vantage point of Camiguin Island.
Holy Week serves as our time for self-healing and our chance to get closer to God and to our family. One must not forget the essence of this once in a year event. We may celebrate Holy Week in different places and time but what’s important is that we’re on the same faith.
Let this season of LENT remind us all that this life we have and the material possessions we hold are just being LENT to us. We’re all passersby. We’re not immigrants here. We’re all pilgrims on the road. We bring nothing when we die. But we can leave behind the love we’ve shared, the hope we have given and the goodness we’ve done. May we all have a meaningful HOLY WEEK. GOD BLESS. –